Wednesday, January 30, 2008

One Light Workshop

Last week I took a really amazing workshop given by Zack Arias and hosted by photographer Melissa Jill in Phoenix, Arizona. The whole premise behind the workshop is to get us photographer's to create beautiful imagery by keeping it simple...hence, using "one light", off-camera flash. I truly enjoyed learning from Zack because his talents left me awestruck.

It was an unfortunate occurrence, however, that I caught the flu while attending this workshop, so I wasn't able to reap all of the benefits it had to offer. For half of it, I was sneezing, coughing, blowing my nose and then while shooting for nearly 5 hours in chilly weather, I had to retreat to my hotel room where it took me three whole hours to thaw out. The other photographer's continued to work for several hours after my departure and I was unable to say my good-byes. Needless to say, I came back home with a high temperature and three continuous days of bed rest. Exciting times!

Thanks to my good friend Ray for taking care of me and making sure I had plenty of cough drops, water and food in my belly. Regardless of my illness, I had an enlightening experience and I can't wait to use some of the techniques that I learned. Here are a few of my favorites.


Model Liene Stevens of Blue Orchid Designs - Thank you Liene!










Model Jennifer Stein of Destination I Do and her infectious personality...Thank you Jennifer!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Venessa,

It was very nice to meet you in the workshop. Hope you're recovered from the cold. Your pictures look wonderful, very nice capture of Liene and Jennifer. Let me know if you come to AZ again!

Kelvin Leung

Melissa Jill :) said...

Hi Vanessa! It was so great to meet you. I'm SO sorry that you ended up so sick. That's a huge bummer. I'm glad it was still somewhat of a positive experience for you. I look forward to our paths crossing again!

Liene Stevens said...

bummed that you got sick, but you were fun to work with in the time that you had. :)